Tuesday, February 19, 2008

iPod Touch

So I wanted to write a little bit about my new gadget, the iPod Touch.  If you had asked me two weeks ago if I was interested in an iPod Touch or even an iPhone I would have told you no.  I got interested when they bumped the capacity to 32 GB and added a bunch of cool features, such as Mail and Google Maps. 
I have had mine for a week now and I really like it.  It connects to Wi Fi so easily, we have a network at work and I have it at my house so I can be connected any time.  The touchscreen is a little difficult to get used to, but once you get used to it then it becomes really easy.  In fact, I am typing this blog post right now, on my iPod Touch. 
The Mail and Calendar functions make the Touch much more like a PDA and the Google Maps feature, with GPS locating, negate the requirement for a GPS.  Of course Music, Movies and Pictures can be viewed and replace the need for an iPod, so it's a very versatile device that replaces the need for many things.  Of course if you go with the iPhone than it replaces your need for a phone, PDA, GPS and iPod.  Of course when your bored there is always the integrated You Tube and other various Internet Web Apps. 
If your interested in an iPod for just playing music, the Touch is not for you, it's much more than an iPod.  With the price point you have to know that your getting more than an iPod or you are seriously overpaying.  It's much more expensive per GB than any of Apple's other iPods.  If anything it just makes me want to get an iPhone then I could use all the cool features all the time, not just within my Wi Fi area.  But I need more capacity than 16 GB's (The most available on the iPhone right now), with a music library of almost 50 GB now, 16 just isn't going to cut it. I had a 30 GB iPod before this one, so it was a small step up for capacity and a large step up for usability.  But if they bump up the iPhone to at least 32GB, which they are sure to do, T-Mobile better start worrying because I am going to start saving my money. 
Now that I do have my iPod Touch and can Mobile Blog from it or my cell phone, hopefully I will get on the ball and make posts more often.  Especially now that UTA is offering free Wi Fi on buses and the upcoming FrontRunner, which I will be using.
Any other iPod Touch or iPhone users feel free to post your opinion, or anyone else for that matter.

3 comments:

Jeff said...

I would own an iphone right now if they had not gone with At&t. They have poor service on the east coast and they have poor rate plans.

I am sure I am not the only one that thinks this. I could buy an unlocked phone but like you said the gig space is not there yet. Freaking MAC.

I am sure that flash memory will get better and cheaper and become a better standard.

Jeff said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Donahoe Family said...

You have too much time and money on your hands! In the words of Napoleon D....LUCKY!