Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Steve Jobs on Music

Here is a really interesting article written by Steve Jobs (Apple CEO) about DRM in digital music, specifically from the iTunes store. DRM is Digital Rights Management, it's basically a code put into your MP3's to prevent you from sharing them, even within your own home or on devices you already own. If you purchase music from iTunes I am sure you will find this article interesting, and you should probably read it just to educate yourself. It's also a great example of the ridiculous state that the music industry is in right now. They are clinging to distribution by CD's, when the business model of distribution online, at lower costs, is really what consumers want. Is it any wonder that CD sales consistently drop every year? Hopefully the recording industry will listen to Steve, but I doubt it. They seem very stubborn right now and of course the bottom line ($) is always what's most important, not the music and not customer service.
Let me know what you think. I know most of the people who read this blog are really into music, as am I. Considering how crazy the industry and this whole DRM thing is right now, I am sure you will hear more about it from me later.

Read the article here

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're right. It comes down to money. But, it's business and the key is to make as much money as possible. The record companies view ITunes as competition. They don't want me to go and buy the new Chili Peppers song for $1. They want me to buy the double album for $20. So, they handicap the online sellers as much as they can and hope that I buy the album and don't put it on Limewire or give it to a bunch of people to copy. The record companies have smart people working for them. I'm sure that they've ran studies and found that the status quo is the best option for them.