Tuesday, May 16, 2006

The Beatles: Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band













The Beatles: Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band


Considered one of the best albums of all time by many sources, in fact listed as #1 by Rolling Stone Magazine. Sgt. Peppers really is a great album that has withstood the test of time. I don't think it would be my #1 favorite album of all time, but it's high on the list.
The Beatles can't be denied as one of the most influential rock bands of all time and Sgt. Peppers is the culmination of their diversity, talent and technology (Click the link above for more Sgt. Peppers info, including the technology of how it was recorded).
The album artwork is even been highly commended for it's artistic value and creativity. Many artists have attempted to recreate the album cover in various ways using all kinds of characters.
But what makes Sgt. Peppers so great is the music, and how the album is put together. This is not an album that can be listened to on "shuffle". Each song is placed in order for a reason and each track seems to integrate with the one preceding and following.
My favorite track on the album is the first track and the title track, Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band. It just reminds me of being in high school and hearing this album for the first time with my friends. I just won't be able to forget that opening guitar riff and the barrage of sound and music that hits you when you listen to it.
Of course most, if not all of the songs that follow are also excellent. Here is a list of my tops from the album. (I am sure that anyone reading this post will recognize at least one song from this album.)
With a Little Help from My Friends
Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds
When I'm Sixty Four
Lovely Rita

Post a comment and let me know what you think of the album and your favorite tracks. Any other relevant info is welcomed.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is by far my favorite Beatles Album and high on the list of my favorites of any album. Although, as I said before, I don't have a lot of "favorites" in music, this one is definately on the list. My favorite song on the Album is "When I'm 64", but man, they are all so good. The great thing about this album is you don't have to skip any song. You can listen to every single one and enjoy them. It also brings back a lot of childhood memories for me because it was on heavy rotation at my house. I expect my mom and brother to comment on this one...hint, hint...

Anonymous said...

My sister gave me the nudge to comment, but I probably would anyway. This was the first cd I ever wore out. I still have it, but it only plays the harmonies and you can't hear the main instrumentals anymore. Maybe it's time I buy a new one.

Anonymous said...

As you can see from these previous comments, I raised my children on Beatle music. . .particularly this album. I just cannot get enough of this one. When I was 14, and it debuted, I was completely blown away. . .as I had come to be rather complacent about the Beatles. Then they produced this!!! Since I had no money, I would go to the library every Saturday and have them play the recording on their reel-to-reel. They provided me with headphones. The tough part was listening to it without singing along. . .since it WAS a library, after all!

My favorites are, of course, the title track. . .for the emotions that it brings to me just hearing the guitars and the noise. I also love "Getting Better," "For the Benefit of Mr. Kite," and "Digging a Hole." Oh heck! I love them all!!!

Anonymous said...

I only heard this album for the first time a couple months ago. Usually I have to listen to an album a few times before it grows on me but this one hooked me right off. I've had it in my car ever since and have probably listened to it 20 times. It is unbelievably good. I can't believe I waited this long to pick it up. It is the best album by the best ever band. My favorite song is "A Day in the Life". It's funny that everyone that has posted has a different favorite song. That's a tribute to how good it is. The thing that astonishes me most about the album is how the music compliments the lyrics so well. The whimsical lyrics sound whimsical. The serious songs use serious music. Even the song about a circus has circus music. I can definitely see why this album gets so much praise.

Anonymous said...

I forgot to mention my other favorite song, "She's Leaving Home".

Anonymous said...

I can't believe Brooke beat me to "She's Leaving Home". I was going to post that song as one I forgot. I've listened to the disc a couple times again and I think "Mr. Kite" is my favorite. So unique.