Friday, May 19, 2006

The Da Vinci Code


Well The Da Vinci Code is officially out in theaters today. Anyone who sees it this weekend feel free to post comments and let me know what you thought. I think I will wait until the crowds die down a little bit. Although with recent criticism and bad reviews from the critics, it's possible (however unlikely) that the film may not actually do well at the box office. I happen to think it's going to be huge. I will try to see it soon and post a review of the movie.
I have been excited to see this movie ever since it was rumored to be in development. I am a fan of the book and am hopeful that the movie is a good adaptation. Initially I was worried about it being in the hands of Ron Howard, but after viewing the trailer I gained more confidence.
There have been a lot of negative reviews, but I think critics are sometimes, well, too critical of movies. It's the fan's reactions to the film that will make the most difference in the long run.
There has also been a lot of controversy surrounding the movie, and the book itself for that matter. I think it's pretty ridiculous of everyone to be protesting this film or demanding a disclaimer at the beginning. The book is found in the "fiction" section of the bookstore and how often are movies truthful or historically correct? Not very often, even those "based on true events" aren't always very accurate. A disclaimer that the movie is a work of fiction is just insane.
So if you happen to get out to see it this weekend, I hope it's good. If you haven't read it yet, you are probably 1 of 2 people in the world, go read it this weekend. The book is now on paperback, so it's cheap, and it's a quick read.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

WHAT HAPPENED TO ALL THE BIRTHDAYS AND PICTURES? I THINK THAT YOU SHOULD POST PICT'S WITH THE BIRTHDAYS IN YOUR FAMILY. PLUS MORE PICTURES OF LIKE FAMILY AND FRIEND EVENTS. PLUS I DON'T GET YOUR WHOLE "WORD" THING AT THE END OF POSTS, WHAT IS UP WITH THAT?

Unknown said...

Well I will be putting up more pictures, that is for sure. We just haven't taken a whole lot of them recently. As far as Birthday's, well I did it for a year and I explained why in an earlier comment. I don't know what you are talking about "word" at the end of posts. If you are talking about how it says "posted by tygut1" at the end of each post, that's my username.
Ty for my name
G for my initial
UT for Utah
and 1, well because tygut was taken, Imagine that.

Anonymous said...

were going to see the code this afternoon and I am hoping that the reviews are wrong. Books to movies never live up to the books, but I am hoping for a good summer flick that keeps me excied for more. I will let you know.

Anonymous said...

Okay so were back and I have to say that if you enjoyed the book then you will enjoy the film. I have to give it to Ron Howard he did a pretty good job. The film is long but you don't feel it till the last 30 min or so.


The acting is great, Hanks did a better job then I thought he would do. The cast was good but the film was stolen by Ian Mckellen he was great as Teabing.

So over all I don't see what the critics are hateing. It is a by the numbers thriller the book was a good book and the movie is the same.

Its funny my family out here didn't want to see it after the critics panned it.But my jersey family isn't one to crack a book. In fact I have never seen one of them ever read for fun.

SO I would like to hear what others think but I really find it hard to believe that if you liked the book that you didn't like the

Anonymous said...

Hey I posted a link that that guys page I was talking about take a look hes nuts.

Anonymous said...

Kirk and I went to see it last night. I have totally avoided reading reviews because I didn't want to have any expectations about it. Well, overall I say it was worth seeing but in my opinion nothing to rave about. There were a few disappointing changes, and I really didn't feel like the cast fit what I had envisioned (even Teabing - who most people thought was the best cast). There were a few parts that I thought were trying too hard to diminish the religious controversy. I would have to say that I thought the book was way more exciting than the movie (maybe because I knew everything that was going to happen). I kind of thought that if you hadn't read the book, you might be confused. It would be interesting to see what people think that haven't read the book. Go see it though, it was fun to see how everything was done and be reminded of the book.

The protest thing is ridiculous. Not to mention one of the previews before the show was about Satan's son. A child who pretty much possesses people to do horrible things. Now I don't see anyone protesting that.

Anonymous said...

Hey Ty did you ever see the flick ? What are your thoughts...

Unknown said...

No I haven't made it out to see the movie yet. I still want to see it really bad, things have just been crazy around our house. I also want to see X3 and Over The Hedge, Cars is this weekend too.