Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Help Me!

Ok, I haven't posted forever, so I apologize. I'll post pictures of our fun holiday season later, but right now, I need help!! Jake is waking up every 1-2 hours all night long. I could use any ideas or tips. I know all of you out there have method that worked for you and I'm willing to try anything. This is totally uncharted territory for me because Hailee was sleeping 9 hours a night when she was 6 weeks old and never looked back!! Here's what I've tried. I've been doing "BabyWise" religiously since he was born. For those of you that don't know, that is a feedtime/waketime/naptime cycle over and over again. It worked for Hailee wonderfully. So, when Jake was first born, he was only waking up about twice a night and then he started only waking up once a night. Then that once a night started moving to a later and later time, which was great. Then he got stuck on waking up at about 3:00 or 4:00 every night. I could only hope for that now!! But at that time, I was trying to get him "unstuck". He only needed to sleep a few more hours. So, I tried the "cry it out" method. That is the biggest mistake I have ever made. The night I tried it, I just couldn't handle hearing him cry, so I went downstairs and slept on the couch. He had started crying at about 4:00. I woke up naturally at 6:00 and quickly turned on the monitor to make sure he was asleep and he certainly wasn't! My poor baby had been crying for two hours (or at least that's what I assume)! Of course I felt like the worst mother in the history of the world and vowed to never ever do that to him again. Ever since that day (which was about a month ago), he has been waking up every 1 to 2 hours. Sometimes I just have to go in and put his binkie in and he'll sleep for another hour or so, sometimes I just have to hold him and rock him for a few minutes and he'll sleep for another hour or so, and sometimes he won't go back to sleep until I feed him. So I can't keep doing this or I'm going to die! I need some help! Please...anyone!?!

11 comments:

Marcy said...

Brooke - I'm so sorry! Chances are Jake really didn't cry for two hours (hopefully). If he sleeps well in his swing, I would utilize that. You could try the cry it out method but just have say a 15 minute time limit or something and see how he reacts. I have a couple of other books that you can borrow that might have some good suggestions. Let me know if you want to swing by sometime and get them. Best of luck and wish I could be of more help.

Anonymous said...

Amy said:
Brooke- have you checked him to see if he is sick?
Like ear infections/cold/stuffy etc? that sort of thing? Also if you feed him REALLY well right before he goes to sleep (fill up his belly) like make sure he has a good bowl of warm cereal and a good full bottle. Maybe that will help. Make sure that he is warm sometimes my baby woke up because he was cold. Why isn't your husband helping? He should at least take a shift, so it isn't all just on you.

Anonymous said...

Staci
If you are still nursing, it could be something that you ate is upsetting his belly. Try to narrow it down to what you are eating. Make sure you aren't drinking caffeine or eating anything really spicy. Sometimes it is even dairy products.
Just a suggestion.

Matt and Elisa said...

Hmm...I have no miracle helps for you. Conner is now 7 months and still wakes up every 1-2 hours too! It's so miserable, but of course you are well aware of that. I've tried the swing, the full belly, CIO, have dad help, etc. etc. etc. I have come to the conclusion after having two kids do this that some kids just really suck at sleeping! But if you do find the miracle cure PLEASE share! Until then good luck.

Erica said...

He's probably having a growth spurt and so they want to eat more. I used to give mine rice cereal before they went to bed, that seem to help but you might just have to let it run the coarse. I'm sure if you put him in bed with you he would sleep all night. Ha Ha.

kdance10 said...

Hey brooke i would also see if he is sick. I could tell when my twins had an ear infection because they would do the same. Good luck

Jamie said...

I'm not sure if I have any suggestions...personally I think boys are just harder :) I struggled with York with sleeping at first too and mostly I think it was because I wanted him to be the angel baby that Oakley was! Sounds like you are kind of in the same boat? I have the book Healthy sleep habits, Happy child (I think that is the title) and it helped with York, but when it is all said and done, you're the child's mother and I think you know what is best! Just follow your gut!!

Amy Mann said...

Brooke, I am so sorry to hear about your little guy keeping you up all night, I am not sure if I have anything to help, but I will echo those who have already mentioned that he might be sick, Trevor had 2 double ear infections and neither time I knew it right away. We have also found with Kaitlyn that she sleeps much better in her car seat so we have been putting her to sleep in that. It is hard, each child is so different, I hope you can find something that will help you both. Good luck.

Whitney said...

Uggh! I feel for ya! My babies have always slept like angels and I am convinced its because I always make sure they are full right before they go down. I totally agree with those who have said to give him warm cereal. Also, there was a time instead of wrapping my girls up, I just gave them their blankets, once they started moving around. Thats when they really started sleeping well! Other than that, I think I have been just really lucky! I wish the best for you and good luck!

Unknown said...

I realize that I've been out of the new-mom business for a while, but the warm cereal method worked for us. There was a type of bottle that you could put the cereal in. That way I didn't need to feed it with a spoon. I don't know if they're even around anymore. But if so, I'd recommend giving it a try. Some soft music in the background helped too.

Anderson said...

Parker went through a period of time when he was waking up every 1-2 hours, it was horrible, I feel your pain. I figured he was just going through a growth spurt. I agree w/ some of the other entries, you need to make sure he doesn't have an ear infection. I also started giving Parker cereal at a very young age, it seemed to help or at least I told myself it did. Don't you wish they came with manuals and trouble shooting tips? Good luck. Let me know if you ever need a break, the boys and I will play with him.