Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (* * * *)

It was such a treat to see this movie! I know, that was lame but I couldn't help it. However, this was a really great movie, so I am giving it four stars. (Click here for Rating Information) I thought this film was just brilliant, there were so many great things that I already want to see it again.
As I review the movie I will be careful not to compare it to the 1971 version under the title, "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory", I think it's important that this movie stands alone. (Although read near to end to see some minor comparisons, just for fun) The film makers have also made it clear that this is not a re-make of the older movie, but that it is based solely upon the book. In fact, the screenwriter John August, had said he never saw the older version until he completed the screenplay. Also, I have never read the book by Roald Dahl so I am unable to make any comparison or accuracy regarding that.
With that said, anyone who doesn't want to be spoiled, as if you didn't know the story already, stop reading here and go straight to "The Bottom Line".
We begin the story with Willy sending out five golden tickets in Wonka Bars, each to provide a child entrance into his highly secretive candy making factory. Every child, as well as their parents, all over the world is fascinated about the factory and is doing everything possible to obtain one of the coveted tickets. Charlie Bucket is a child that comes from a poor home where he lives with his parents as well as both sets of his grandparents. Even with the small amount of money that Charlie and his family has, he dreams of being one of the lucky five to enter Willy Wonka's factory. Charlie receives a Wonka Bar for his birthday, as well as purchases one with long saved money from his Grandpa Joe, neither of them would yield a golden ticket. As the tickets are being found all over the world, Charlie begins to lose hope. However, upon finding a few dollars in a gutter, resumes his quest and finds the last of the golden tickets. But there is a secret waiting inside the factory, one of the lucky five will be given a gift by Mr. Wonka, something that is beyond imagination. As they tour the factory, there are many mishaps involving the children and finally Charlie is the only one left, he has won the prize. Mr. Wonka, who will soon be too old to run it, would like to give Charlie the chocolate factory. Charlie is excited about the prospect, but does not accept without some negotiations regarding his family to ensure that he can still spend time with them.
One of the great things about the story is that there is a lot of depth and many flashbacks into Willy's life. Because of this we understand why he and Charlie are the way they are. And if you thought Willy Wonka's teeth look weird in the trailers, there is a perfectly good explanation for it in the movie. There is so much depth to the story, why Willy started the chocolate factory, why he is weird and how he got the Oompa Loompa's to work for him, why Charlie and everyone else is so fascinated by the factory and why Willy sends out the golden tickets.
There is also some really good themes in the movie. Especially the theme of family, Charlie is willing to give up running the chocolate factory because he doesn't want to leave his family. Then Willy makes amends with his father with whom he has had a falling out. Each of the children who are invited into the factory also teaches us a lesson, greed and gluttony etc...
The acting in the movie is really great. Freddie Highmore is so good as Charlie, he has this great look of youthful innocence about him, immediately you take sides and feel for him. He is also really funny, and plays off Johnny Depp as Willy Wonka so well. After seeing the trailers I know that I am not the only one that was worried how Johnny Depp was playing Willy Wonka. Let me just tell you, he does a great job, you can stop worrying. Somehow Johnny Depp just makes it work. Christopher Lee plays Willy's father as well as the narrator of the film (Well sort of, you will see what I mean when you see it). The rest of the cast is great, each of the kids play the roles well, with special note is the performance of Jordan Fry as Mike Teavee. Jordan just stands out a little bit more than the rest and does a great job. There is also David Kelly as Grandpa Joe, Helena Bonham Carter and Charlie's Mom and Noah Taylor, as Charlie's Dad, each who does a great job.
Of course, from the opening credits to the closing credits, this movie has Tim Burton written all over it. It is bizarre and weird, but not as dark as most people anticipated it would be. I really loved that it was bizarre and weird, it just worked so well with this story. The directing and editing of the movie is great. There is so many great shots with regards to the characters, each character seems to have his own camera angle, it's very interesting. The sets were also very amazing and cool, with such vibrant colors that they really just jump off the screen.
The Bottom Line... Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is a great movie, it is strange and bizarre but very funny and just really fun to watch. The acting and the directing are great, Johnny Depp pulls it off and makes the weirdness of Willy Wonka work. Tim Burton takes his vision and creativity to new heights. The music is good, and creates a very nice feel. I think the theme's especially regarding family, were great in this movie. The one minor complaint I have is that the Oompa Loompa songs were a little difficult to understand, although hilarious. I recommend this movie to everyone, this is so well made and even from the opening credits just has a great feel to it. The movie is paced well and you will not get bored. The movie is rated PG-13, I guess for being weird, but I wouldn't have a problem bringing younger children to it.
Comparison 1971 or 2005.
As I watched and reviewed the movie I was careful not to compare it to the original, but now that I have seen the film and completed my review, it's time.
Most of us watched Willy Wonka over and over again as we were kids. My age group, myself included, have a great love for the 1971 film. With great respect for that film, I do have to say that I like the new one better. Here's why;
First of all, the new film is paced so much better. I always found myself getting a little bored watching the original film, I know many of us out there recall fast forwarding the "Cheer Up Charlie" scene, because it just drags. I also liked the fact that it wasn't a musical, this is more personal preference than anything but I just thought it flowed better and there wasn't so much time taken dancing around and singing.
The new film explains the details of the story so much better, because of the flashbacks we get to understand what really makes Willy Wonka tick, and there is so much more detail regarding his motivation.
One of the things I absolutely loved about the original is the opening sequence. I know this sounds minor, but I remember every time I saw that sequence on TV I got excited to watch the movie. It was cool to watch the chocolate being made as the credits were shown. I think that Tim Burton paid his respects to the original with his opening sequence, although it's not as good, it is really cool. The one thing that was better about the new opening sequence is that you get to see Mr. Wonka placing the golden tickets on the bars of chocolate, I thought that was a nice touch.
With regard to the Oompa Loompa's, I think that the original movie did it better, although from what I understand the new movie is more true to the book. In both films the Oompa Loompa's sing a song after each kid leaves, the new songs are updated and each have their own unique style, which I liked. I also liked the background on how Willy found the Oompa Loompa's in the new movie.
Of course because of new technology the 2005 film is able to use special effects and make the world of the factory that much more creative. I really liked both the original and the new one with respect to the sets and environments, but the new one just has that touch of digital enhancement that makes things more vivid. Also helping with the environments was Tim Burtons creativity, that I thought was really unmatched when compared to the original.
Then there is the ultimate controversy, Johnny Depp or Gene Wilder. I think they were both great as Willy Wonka. I think that Gene Wilder's scene at the end where he yells at Charlie is so good, and he did most of it impromptu. But I think that Johnny Depp did a great job too, he was really good at being weird and I thought he was a lot more funny. On this one, I say it's a tie.
If you liked the original movie, go and see the new one, even if it's just to make a comparison. If you didn't like the original movie, go and see the new one, it's better. If you have read the book and either liked or disliked it, go and see the movie, then let me know how close it was. Anyway you look at it, get out and see this film, it's a great one.

No comments: