Friday, April 21, 2006

Hate the News

While listening to the excellent new Tool single, Vicarious, I was thinking about some of the lyrics. The song is a satirical approach to the things we view on TV and from what it seems to me, mostly the news we watch on TV. Here is an excerpt of the lyrics.

Eye on the TV
'cause tragedy thrills me
Whatever flavor
It happens to be

Like:
"Killed by the husband"
"Drowned by the ocean"
"Shot by his own son"
"She used the poison in his tea
"He kissed her goodbye"
That's my kind of story
It's no fun til someone dies


I was thinking about it and thinking that I really do hate the news. It seems like it's not news unless it's a tragedy. Rarely do we see anything positive on the news anymore and in fact I don't even watch the news anymore. I used to watch every morning and actually occasionally in the evening. Now I turn it on for noise in the morning, to help me wake up, and I don't even come close to watching in the evening. So I was wondering if there ever was good news on TV, or if it has always been like this because I can't really remember. I do think there are good stories out there and good news to report, but it seems as if the media doesn't think we want to see that. Is that what we are telling them?
All I know is that it seems to be all politics, war and crime and that's not really uplifting to me. I mean there is a point to where we as a public need to be informed of these negative things, as unfortunate as it might be. But I just wish there could be some better stories pursued, maybe there are and I just don't see them because I don't really watch the news. I am enjoying the fact that I won't have to see Katie Couric on the Today show for those occasions that I actually watch it.
Well that is what's on my mind today, leave a comment and let me know what you think. Hope everyone has a good weekend.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree that they are probably referring to the news a lot in that song, but I really notice that with movies too. Sometimes I'll be watching a show and think, "Why am I entertained by this?" It seems everything has to be "over the edge" in order for people to enjoy it. Of course, it's much easier to take in when it's a movie and you know it isn't real. The news lately seems like they aren't even trying to just report the news, they are trying to twist and turn every story to make it sound as controversial as possible. It's annoying.

Anonymous said...

I think they put negative things on the news because, unfortunately, we are intrigued by death and destruction. Just like the car wreck scenario. Plus, for every story about someone saving a life, there are 100 stories of someone taking a life. Also, I think people are detached enough from reality that the news to them is purely entertainment. The Tool guy is right on. People treat news like it's a movie for pure entertainment. They want death and mayhem and the broadcasters know that it sells.